Social justice atheist PZ Myers lashed out at Dorian Abbot, a recent victim of the Cancel Culture. Myers thinks he has some clever questions for Abbot. So I couldn’t resist answering.
- Define “woke ideology” and explain how it is totalitarian. For that matter, define “totalitarian”.
Woke ideology is a perspective on human reality that sees everything in terms of the oppressed vs. the oppressors. Proponents of woke ideology see themselves as defenders of the oppressed.
Totalitarian is defined as “relating to a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state.” Woke ideology is totalitarian in that it requires vast dictatorial power to and subservience to its message to neutralize and defeat “the oppressors.” This explains why woke proponents, like PZ Myers, embrace the cancel culture. Totalitarian regimes, whether they be Islamic theocrats or atheistic communists, all share one feature in common – the banning of speech considered harmful to the group.
- If I accept the claim that it is a “narrow ideological viewpoint”, explain what your ideological viewpoint is that conflicts with it. Saying that you don’t have an ideology is an unacceptable answer.
Woke extremists are often so busy defending their demands for censorship that they make little effort to actually understand the viewpoints of those they want to censor. That’s why PZ is oblivious to the fact that Abbot did explain his conflicting ideological viewpoint:
“Back in August, Abbot and a colleague criticized affirmative action and other ways to give candidates for admission or employment a leg up on the basis of their ethnic or racial identity in Newsweek. In their place, Abbot advocated what he calls a Merit, Fairness, and Equality (MFE) framework in which applicants would be “treated as individuals and evaluated through a rigorous and unbiased process based on their merit and qualifications alone.” This, Abbot emphasized, would also entail “an end to legacy and athletic admission advantages, which significantly favor white applicants.””
- Explain how your invitation to present a public outreach lecture to a diverse audience was not inappropriate, given your recent opinion pieces against diversity published in Newsweek and Bari Weiss’s newsletter. You are aware that those opinions are in conflict with the intent of the lecture, right?
More ignorance from the woke Myers. Abbot was going to give a talk on climate science. But because he opposes affirmative action, like most Americans, he was deplatformed. Read this article from The Atlantic for more details.
- Why would you go crying to Bari Weiss, a known conservative ideologue, about “unfairness”? Do you think that the playing field is not level elsewhere? Why?
Duh. Progressives like Myers are hostile to free speech and would never give Abbot a platform to express his views.
- It is an assumption in your complaints about diversity, equity, and inclusion that women are on a “level playing field” in science, and that therefore efforts to level that field imply that “women can’t excel in science.” Justify your claim that women and minorities do not face discrimination.
I’m not sure about the argument going on here, but if the evidence for discrimination is a lack of women or minorities in science, the same evidence would indicate discrimination against conservatives and religion.
Questions answered. Easy pz.